Jack of all that is Microsoft, Master of None

October 16, 2009

SharePoint Content Deployment Successful, but Throwing Event IDs 6398 & 4958

Filed under: MOSS 2007, SharePoint 2007, Web Content Management — Tags: — cregan @ 12:28 am

Recently, I launched a public-facing site with a client that utilizes content deployment.  Every 15 minutes, changes from their ‘Content Authoring’ (internal) environment are published out to their read-only Production environment.  For well over a month, things have been working very well, with no errors.  Suddenly the other day, I noticed two events being thrown every time the content deployment job was run:

contentdeployment

Event ID 6398 from the Timer job detail was:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows SharePoint Services 3
Date:          10/15/2009 11:45:15 PM
Event ID:      6398
Task Category: Timer
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SERVER

Description:
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJobDefinition (ID 809108c8-7685-46b1-9580-7fa68113a364) threw an exception. More information is included below.

ContentDeploymentJobReport with ID ‘{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}’ was not found.
Parameter name: jobReportId

Event ID 4958 from Content Deployment had the following detail:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Office SharePoint Server
Date:          10/15/2009 11:45:15 PM
Event ID:      4958
Task Category: Content Deployment
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SERVER

Description:
Publishing: Content deployment job failed. Error: ‘System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: ContentDeploymentJobReport with ID ‘{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}’ was not found.
Parameter name: jobReportId
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJobReport.GetInstance(Guid jobReportId)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJob.get_LastReport()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJob.get_SQMDeploymentJobFlags()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJob.CollectSQMData()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJob.Run(Boolean runAsynchronously)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Administration.ContentDeploymentJobDefinition.Execute(Guid targetInstanceId)’

Now what I found really strange was that even though these errors were being thrown, the content deployment job was running successfully.  The history showed all objects were being exported/imported properly, ‘Successful’ was listed for the status, and the content managers were seeing their changes.  So it was looking like these events were false.

I did some digging through the SharePoint logs after I turned on verbose logging for content deployment, and nothing other than what was already being reported in the Event Viewer could be found.  So I took things one step further – I went over to the SharePoint_Config database, and performed a lookup of the Content Deployment Job Definition GUID from event ID 6398 against the TimerRunningJobs table:

SELECT * from TimerRunningJobs
where jobid = ‘809108c8-7685-46b1-9580-7fa68113a364’

 And what I found was very interesting:

SQLCDResults

As you can see, the error is related to the Content Deployment Timer Job for Quick Deploy… but in this particular implementation, we are not using Quick Deploy. 

So… I disabled the Quick Deploy jobs in Central Administration for my Content Deployment Path, and voila – the events stopped coming up!

QDeploy1

Advertisements

Blog at WordPress.com.